I’m glad you made the choice to join me today as we discuss one of the most important aspects of your life, your career. Today’s episode is special, we’re talking about the beginning of your new career. Let’s get you started off on the right foot. It’s all about the planning and thinking. “You have to begin with the end in mind.” -Steven Covey
I’ve shortened my episode in order to allow you time for a bit of homework.
ACTION ASSIGNMENT: Spend at least 15 minutes today thinking about where you want to be in the future with your career.
Most of the individuals I work with, when I ask them the big question, “Where do you want to be in the next year? 3 years? 5 years?”, they say “I just don’t know”.
Here are a few of the excuses they give me.
1. I’m too busy today to think about the future.
2. I don’t think I have the qualifications to even begin looking for my dream job.
3. It doesn’t matter how much I think about it, it won’t change anything.
If any of these statements rings true to you, you are wrong! I need you to start thinking about specific aspects of your career. Begin asking yourself these questions and write down the answers.
1. Where do I want to be financially in 1 year, 3 years and 5 years?
2. Do I want to manage individuals or do I want to be an individual contributor?
3. Does my current role fit my strengths and do I find work to be challenging and fulfilling?
4. Can I work in my current role in the same organization for another year? 3 years? 5 years?
5. Where would I like to be if I could choose any job I wanted?
I don’t want you to realize, years down the road, that you could have made changes to your career but you didn’t plan and take the necessary steps. I am going to stop talking and now you start thinking. Write down your answers and start moving ahead. If this makes a difference in your life please email me at email@example.com. Remember, it’s your career!