A few weeks ago I opened up this topic and there’s been a firestorm of discussion about it. There is a lot of competition between the two career lifestyles but I don’t believe they have to be mutually exclusive.
There are many different aspects to look at in order to decide whether you should leave corporate America or not.
1. What type of personality do you have? Do you do well in the structured environment? Can you get work done without a set schedule?
2. How do you like to be recognized? Do you need prestige, position, promotion or are you able to be self-satisfied in your work?
3. Work/Life balance. Generally, it’s easier to have this balance in corporate America rather than owning your own business. What is the importance of work/life value to you?
4. How much crap can you deal with? Do you talk back, speak up when it’s not your business?
5. What is your life situation? How do you actually make the switch? If you have a lot of debt it’s a dangerous thing to do. Owning your own business can easily drown you in debt. How old are you? If time is on your side the transition is easier if things don’t work out. How much responsibility do you have? Car payments, children, spouse etcetera have to be considered.